Today is a day in which I find myself passing through many doorway as all sorts of milestones for our little project are coming up at once.
As I mentioned in a previous blog entry, we'll be shipping the Vivaldi tablet computer with 1GB of RAM .. and today I can tell you even more good news: we've doubled the internal storage to 8GB as well. We'll be settling on the USA pricing shortly as well, and I think people will be pleasantly surprised with where that lands.
Purchase orders for the first production runs of devices have
gone in. This is truly a "point of no return" for the project, and
that is very, very satisfying to have reached. We have some of the typical
right-to-the-wire engineering work to do on the software side, but then
we'll be pulling all the triggers and emails will pour forth and sales will open.
We've been signing letters of understanding with various companies as part of an effort to build a partner network around Make·Play·Live. This will allow us to provide services and support around Vivaldi, the Add-Ons App and future efforts that would be impossible to do otherwise. I've got a whole separate blog entry brewing about it which I'll release after the official announcement next week.
Speaking of sales, yesterday the first Make·Play·Live accounts were created using the Add-ons App. It was also the day that the credit card processing system went live, making addons.makeplaylive.com a fully operational battle station. In step with this, today is the last day of development for version 1.0 of the Add-Ons app. We'll start loading content on the server soon and move it over to an SSL secured home on port 80. A development installation will remain up on port 3000, and we intend to keep that open to the public as well.
Aaaand, I have another long blog entry in the "philosopher/pragmatist" series already written and waiting for one more round of editing before pushing "publish" on it.
Somewhere in all this, I also managed to catch up with mailing lists and push a fix to libplasmagenericshell in kde-workspace that fixes a crash when loading themes without window shadows. I have to say "thanks" to Marius Cirsta from Frugalware for doing the detective work that tracked down the source of the problem and made my job simple. :)