Bullet point list time!
- Can I move the KRunner window when it's attached to the screen edge? Yes, just click and drag it around the top of the screen.
- Can I move it to another screen edge other than the top? No, but I'd be happy to get patches that make this possible. Most of the hard work should already be done at this point in making it attachable to the top of the screen. Making the dragging code move it to different screen edges and setting which borders to paint based on the scren edge shouldn't be hard at all.
- Wouldn't it be cool to just move KRunner to the edge of the screen have it attach itself? Yes, it would. Again, patches welcome as 4.4 is looming and I have a serious TODO list sitting on my desk still. :/
- Does it animate when it shows up? Yes, but you need desktop effects turned on, just as with autohide panels. The animation is very smooth and definitely helps one spot KRunner's entrance, but the screencast didn't capture it at all unfortunately; the animation would have to be uncomfortably long for recordMyDesktop to capture it.
- Does it work with Yakuake? Yes. I'm a Yakuake user, so this is not surprising. ;) They will happily overlap each other but you can also move them out of the way of each other.
- Does it work with a top panel? Yes.
- Why not integrate KRunner with Kickoff? KRunner uses a plugin system that is entirely in libplasma so that such things are possible, and in 4.4 Kickoff does indeed use these same plugins for its search thanks to work done by Ivan.
- How about a stand-alone plasmoid for KRunner that you could put in a panel or on the desktop? Great idea, one that's been posited a few times. I think there's even one or two such widgets out there on kde-look.org? If you want to propose adding such a widget you've written to KDE's Software Distribution releases (maybe in kdeplasma-addons?) I'd be happy to see it go in.
- How about making this code more generic to make edge bound windows easier? The majority of the code is already in libplasma in the form of Plasma::Dialog and Plasma::WindowEffects. What's "missing" is something that sets the window geometry according to a screen edge and the click-to-move code. Not difficult stuff to implement, but I'm not sure what the exact use cases would be. We can already use the Plasma Desktop panels for most "stick it to the edge of the screen" use cases.
- What about people who prefer it in the middle of the screen? That is why I introduced an option, something I don't do lightly but when there are certainly good reasons for the various use cases the option represents.
- What about some default matches when you first open it? While possible, and indeed something we do in Plasma Netbook, I'm not sure it really fits very nicely with the intended KRunner workflow in terms of "how often they would be used". It's why we keep a query history in the text edit, however.
- Why isn't there a scrollbar when there are more matches than fit at once? KRunner is meant to be a quick search and launch interface, not a query and wade through 100s of returns interface. Scrolling isn't the primary use case, and a scrollbar diminishes the visual layout; the current scroll buttons could be improved, however. Patches welcome. :)
- Why isn't krunner keyboard navigable? Are you telling me that your keyboard doesn't have a tab key?
Edit: two more quickies that I forgot the first time around:
- Is the multi-screen behaviour where it pops up on the screen the cursor is on preserved? Yes.
- How about making it pop down when the mouse moves to that screen edge? This would be nice, but would require a bit of work in two places: first, it should share the code for this with plasma-desktop (thankfully both apps live in the same module, so code sharing is easy) and secondly, it shouldn't interfere with panels on the same screen edge (easy to detect by looking at the available geometry on a screen). Patches welcome.