This afternoon I was informed that X-KDE-PluginInfo-* isn't translated in .desktop files. For most stuff that's alright because the fields are things like author names, license types (GPL, LPGL), version numbers .. generally things that don't get translated.
There is one odd duckling in there though: X-KDE-PluginInfo-Category. Given that it's not a proper noun I figured, naively it turns out, that it would get translated. No such luck. When we went looking for fields that are translated, the only viable candidate we found was the Keywords entry.
So Plasma now uses that for its categorization of applets. As an added bonus, not only does it get translated but it allows for any one component to be in multiple categories. Neat.
The turn around time on this was ~10 hours from it being reported to it being fixed. As a monolingual English speaker, I don't notice things that aren't translated until someone speaks up. When they do, I make sure it gets fixed in a timely manner. I put this on my TODO for the day, which happened to finish at nearly midnight tonight, but I still got it done as planned.
i18n is not a second class citizen in KDE, despite some premature protestations to that effect, but like any non-trivial thing it does have bugs here and there. We do take care of them as quickly as possible, and given that we have things like multiple calendar systems, broad localization for numeric and measurement systems, 80+ languages in KDE3 (and catching up in KDE4 :), etc... I think that speaks for itself.