i checked up on Kevin Otten's student's work on kscd today. they are working in a branch on a pretty thorough refactoring of the application: solid, phonon, a new UI, interesting new features and far less manual configuration required. the new UI is a lot simpler than the old one and is svg themeable. there are still some missing features and bugs, but it works quite nicely and reliable. it feels much smoother than the old kscd thanks mostly to solid/phonon, and once the students get some high quality artwork for the buttons, i think it'll be a nice replacement for what is currently in trunk.
here's what it currently looks like with the draft artwork:
plasma continues to move forward as well. today i took Marco Martin's work on putting the "paint a box using the svg" code that was getting duplicated over and over and over into a class, cleared it up a bit and merged it into libplasma. over 300 lines of code were replaced with about 80 and we now have one central place to decide how we do those fancy little boxes everywhere (krunner, panels, extenders, etc..).
i also modified Plasma::Theme today to react to changes in compositing. Theme already gives out different svg's depending on whether or not compositing is around or not, and now it will switch on the fly. so flick on compositing and you magically go from having this:
this way people don't have to restart plasma, krunner, etc just because they changed their composite settings.
i also worked this past week on krunner crashes due to non-thread-safe APIs being used from threads. i introduced a "big lock" that runners can grab when they dive into such things in kdelibs, for instance. seems to be working well. returned items are also sorted by relevance now, and when matches are returned if it matches the name they have a higher relevance than if they match the generic name. matching keywords only provides even lower relevance. more work needs to get done on tweaking individual runners for relevancy ratings, but this shows it can be done and is trivial to do: making the Service runner (which fetches applications from the .desktop files in applications/ as well as control panels and other executable services registered with the system) rank things nicely took all of 5 minutes.
for all the pythonistas out there, a set of ScriptEngines that uses kross is being developed in playground right now. it essentially works with some caveats that need to get worked out before we can move it into trunk for 4.1. the ruby support is broken for some mysterious reason that Petri Damstén, whose working on this, is still trying to work out. hopefully he'll get that licked and we'll have ruby support as well. huzzah.
big changes will be coming in the next few weeks, and we have a plasma meeting this saturday to discuss the upcoming issues.